Important update: visiting arrangements at Victorian Baptcare Communities
Posted: 27 August 2020
For the safety and wellbeing of all residents, Baptcare will continue to suspend visits from families and friends up to and including Sunday, 13 September 2020 for all Victorian Baptcare Communities.
We are sensitive to special circumstances of our residents, families and friends and are particularly sympathetic to those in end-of-life care. In these circumstances, please contact your Residential Care & Services Manager to discuss visiting options.
Special Arrangement for Father’s Day Weekend – Saturday, 5 and Sunday, 6 September 2020. Father’s Day is a special day for many of our residents and their families. In honour of this special weekend, an exception to our visiting arrangements will be made. Visits may occur to all residents, not just fathers.
Please note, if the Department of Health have in place a lockdown order at any of our aged care homes on 5 and 6 September 2020, then visits will not be permitted at those particular homes.
For the Father’s Day weekend only, please book your visit in advance with your local residential aged care community:
- Visitors will be welcomed on Saturday, 5 September and Sunday, 6 September between 11am to 3pm.
- All visitors will be screened upon entry, and temperature checked at Reception.
- Please wear your mask during your visit.
- Visits will occur in residents’ rooms, and not in common areas.
- Duration of visits are for no longer than one hour
- Maximum of one visitor at a time
Thank you for maintaining physical distancing at Reception and hand sanitisation protocols when you visit. Please do not visit if you are experiencing flu like symptoms.
We look forward to welcoming family and friends to celebrate over this special weekend.
Why is this happening?
While the number of cases has fallen steadily, the virus remains in the community. COVID-19 takes a greater toll on older people, and the heartbreaking news around the consequences of outbreaks in residential aged care have reminded us that we must all continue to play our part to minimise risk to our loved ones.
This is not a decision we have taken lightly as we understand the importance of contact with family and friends for overall wellbeing. We ask for your cooperation as we believe this measure will play a part in reducing the risk of the viral infection entering our residential aged care communities.
We acknowledge that staff are also a potential source of introduction of COVID-19 into a facility and we have put in place controls to minimise this risk. These controls include:
- Only essential staff, contractors and suppliers entering the facility,
- Implementation of government recommendations that staff only work at a single site,
- Temperature screening and confirming a lack of symptoms of a respiratory infection at the start of each shift,
- Mandatory mask wearing for all staff, and full personal protective equipment (PPE) if required, and
- Staff allocated to work within specific floors or wings.
We will review these measures and will provide a further update on visitor arrangements before 13 September 2020.
Baptcare remains committed to the care, wellbeing and safety of our residents and staff. We will continue to actively monitor the situation and take advice from Government Authorities.