The Kinship Care Program is directed at children or young people who are unable to stay at home with their own parents and as a result, are placed with a family member, friend of the family or someone in the young person’s community.
Kinship care can help children and young people maintain connections with their family.
What support does our Kinship Care Program offer?
If you’re a kinship carer, you have access to four different areas of support:
We can link you with:
- Relevant services
- Support groups
- Kinship resources.
First supports is aimed at supporting new DHHS kinship placements in Brimbank and Melton that are believed to last three months or longer.
A kinship care case manager provides:
- up to 110 hours of family services
- flexible brokerage to assist in the establishment of a placement
- referrals to other services and supports as needed.
If your family is involved with Child Protection contact your Child Protection Case Manager if you think this service can be as of assistance.
Kinship Carer Groups
If you’re a kinship carer this service will provide you with opportunities to me other kinship carers. Groups meet in local areas and are invited to share parenting tips and other useful information.
Who can refer a child or young person?
If you are concerned about a child’s wellbeing you can call us on (03) 9373 3800 to make a referral. Referrals can come from families, children and young people, child protection workers, the wider community, service providers, and other professionals.
What happens after a referral is made?
After a referral is made, where appropriate we can:
- Talk with families about what assistance they need.
- Undertake an initial needs and risk assessment.
- Talk to professionals who work with the family to better understand their needs.
- Undertake planned home visits.
- Provide information, advice and referrals to other suitable community supports.
- Consult with culturally appropriate services to ensure a sensitive response.
- Consult with Child Protection if there are serious concerns about safety.
Baptcare provides kinship support in Victoria - Brimbank and Melton.
For information or advice on our kinship care service or to make a referral, please contact (03) 9373 3800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Get in touch
Let us help you, get in touch.Get in touch