MIcare: mental illness support services
What is MIcare?
MIcare (pronounced 'my care') is a Tasmania-wide recovery-based program run by Baptcare, in partnership with the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), which offers individualised packages of care to people with severe and sustained mental illness. MIcare provides an outreach mental illness support service which is person-centred, strengths-focused, time-limited, and seeks to improve the individual’s overall wellbeing.
Who can be referred to MIcare?
MIcare accepts referrals from mental health clinicians within Department Health Human Services (DHHS) whose clients:
- Are registered with DHHS Mental Health Services
- Are aged 18–64
- Have a severe and persistent mental illness, and who, due to the effects of their illness, have difficulty functioning; frequent presentations to mental health; or frequent inpatient admissions
- Have been assessed as needing intensive support to obtain and maintain accommodation; foster independent living skills; social functioning; and to improve their overall social and emotional wellbeing
- Have been assessed as NOT requiring 24-hour support and assistance
- Indicate a willingness to engage in this community-based program for a period of up to 6–12 months.
How do I make a referral to MIcare?
MIcare accepts referrals from mental health case managers within DHHS only.
What is person-centred care?
For people in recovery, person-centred care means they have choices in the services they receive. It means being assisted to identify and achieve goals that are individualised and meaningful. These goals may include housing, education, employment, involvement with sport or hobbies, improved relationships, or fewer admissions to hospital.
What type of support will clients receive?
MIcare provides intensive support based upon each person’s individual needs. This support will usually be provided for between six and 12 months. MIcare is an outreach program, with support provided by a Care Coordinator in the client’s local area.
Get in touch
Let us help you, get in touch.Get in touch